Population: 36.5 million
Labor lorce: 19.4 million
Unemployment rate: 7.1 %
GDP per capita: 58,450 Canadian dollars
Domestic market value of the clothing and footwear industry: 43.6 billion Canadian dollars
Retail value of apparel and fashion accessories: 28 billion Canadian dollars
Employment in textiles, clothing, footwear and leather goods manufacturing: 44,500
In total, 44,500 people are employed in production and administration of manufacturing fashion goods.
- Number of people employed in clothing manufacturing: 22,000
- Number of people employed in footwear and leather goods manufacturing: 4,000
- Number of people employed in textile manufacturing: 18,500
Around 80 percent, 34,500 employees, of these workers is employed in production. The other 10,000 is working in administration of at manufacturers of fashion goods.
Canada has 25,000 retail and wholesale fashion companies in total, of which 24,00 are retailers of fashion and fashion accessories.
The total annual turnover of fashion retailers is 28 billion Canadian dollars.
- Turnover of retail of clothing is 22 billion Canadian dollars
- Turnover of retail of footwear is 3 billion Canadian dollars
- Turnover of retail of jewellery, luggage and leather goods also makes up for 3 billion Canadian dollars.
The two largest fashion companies of Canada are listed in the following table.
|Company name||Market value||Annual revenue||Company type|
|1||Gildan Activewear||4.8 billion Canadian dollars||3.5 billion Canadian dollars||Public|
|2||Hudson's Bay||3.1 billion Canadian dollars||11 billion Canadian dollars||Public|
Annual consumer expenditure on clothing and footwear: 43.6 billion Canadian dollars, 4 percent of total consumer expenditure
Total exports of textiles, apparel and footwear: 3.7 billion Canadian dollars
Exports of clothing and textiles: 3.5 billion Canadian dollars
- Synthetic Filament Yarn: 400 million Canadian dollars
- Textiles impregnated with plastics: 260 million Canadian dollars
- Used clothes and textiles: 227 million Canadian dollars
- Men’s suits, non knit: 206 million Canadian dollars
Exports of footwear and headwear: 177.5 Canadian dollars
- Footwear, with leather body: 33 million Canadian dollars
- Hats, knitted or crocheted: 33 million Canadian dollars
- Waterproof footwear: 31.5 million Canadian dollars
- Other headgear: 23 million Canadian dollars
- Parts of footwear: 20 million Canadian dollars
Total imports of textiles, apparel and footwear: 21.1 billion Canadian dollars
Imports of clothing and textiles: 17.4 billion Canadian dollars
- Sweaters, pullovers, sweatshirts, etc: 1.7 billion Canadian dollars
- Women’s suits, non knit: 1.4 billion Canadian dollars
- Men’s suits, non knit: 1.1 billion Canadian dollars
- T-shirts: 890 million Canadian dollars
- Women’s suits: 827 million Canadian dollars
Imports of footwear and headwear: 3.7 billion Canadian dollars
- Footwear, with leather body: 1.6 billion Canadian dollars
- Other footwear of rubber and plastics: 702 million Canadian dollars
- Footwear, with textile body: 590 million Canadian dollars